The breeding stock should be chosen when they reach 4 to 5 weeks of age. The breeder should be chosen from the biggest litter. In males, it’s very essential to find the presence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down in the body cavity at 12 months old.
- Extensive Sort of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding shortly after weaning.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 weeks old.
- Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 months old. Mating is performed immediately after kindling. Usually this practise is followed in western nations.
Always females should be put to the pen of male to prevent fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest portion of the day like early morning or late evening. After successful breeding the male usually generates a normal cry sound and falls down on one side of the female. Shortly after the breeding the male one should be removed from the cage. The male shouldn’t be greater than 3 to 4 times in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times a day. Both genders should reach 70 percent of their adult body weight.
The breeding season is all but throughout year.
- They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation starts 10 hours after mating.
- In warmth, the female bunny accepts man, otherwise it rejects.
- In warmth, the female assumes a typical pose called”lordosis” where the spine is arched downward and hind quarter is increased.
- The female one in di-estrous phage crouch in the corner of the cage.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding occurs after a week in intensive management. But normally re-mating is shown one week before weaning.